The most oversold stocks in the consumer staples sector presents an opportunity to buy into undervalued companies.
The RSI is a momentum indicator, which compares a stock’s strength on days when prices go up to its strength on days when prices go down. When compared to a stock’s price action, it can give traders a better sense of how a stock may perform in the short term. An asset is typically considered oversold when the RSI is below 30.
Here’s the latest list of major oversold players in this sector, having an RSI near or below 30.
Dollar General Corporation DG
- Dollar General reported second-quarter FY23 sales growth of 3.9% year-on-year to $9.80 billion, missing the analyst consensus of $9.92 billion. “While we are not satisfied with our overall financial results, we made significant progress in the second quarter improving execution in our supply chain and our stores, as well as reducing our inventory growth rate and further strengthening our price position,” said Jeff Owen, Dollar General’s chief executive officer. The company’s stock has a 52-week low of $115.35 .
- RSI Value: 21.84
- DG Price Action: Shares of Dollar General fell 1.8% to close at $115.68 on Friday.
Dollar Tree, Inc. DLTR
- Dollar Tree reported better-than-expected earnings and sales results for its second quarter. “At our June Investor Conference we shared the details of our strategy to transform the company and unlock the true value of our business, and our second quarter results show us making solid progress against these objectives. Both the Dollar Tree and Family Dollar segments reported strong same-store sales trends, driven by increased traffic and accelerated market share gains,” said Rick Dreiling, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer. It has a 52-week low of $111.73.
- RSI Value: 21.90
- DLTR Price Action: Shares of Dollar Tree fell 0.9% to close at $112.35 on Friday.
The J. M. Smucker Company SJM
- J.M. Smucker announced it will acquire Hostess Brands. The company’s stock has a 52-week low of $126.25.
- RSI Value: 24.73
- SJM Price Action: Shares of J. M. Smucker fell 0.5% to close at $126.83 on Friday.
Walgreens Boots Alliance, Inc. WBA
- Walgreens recently announced CEO Rosalind Brewer will step down and also said it expects FY23 adjusted EPS to be at or near the low end of its previously stated range. The company’s 52-week low is $21.39.
- RSI Value: 28.15
- WBA Price Action: Shares of Walgreens Boots Alliance fell 0.3% to close at $22.42 on Friday.
The Alkaline Water Company Inc. WTER
- Alkaline Water said FY23 sales rose 16% year-over-year to $63.80 million. “Fiscal Year 2023 marked the highest revenue in our company’s history and 16% year-over-year growth, despite a challenging economic environment,” stated Frank Chessman, President and CEO of The Alkaline Water Company. The company has a 52-week low of $0.31.
- RSI Value: 17.44
- WTER Price Action: Shares of Alkaline Water fell 0.2% to close at $0.4001 on Friday.
© 2023 Benzinga.com. Benzinga does not provide investment advice. All rights reserved.